Readers Share Summer Plans
- Jul 6, 2010
More than 530 readers of TheHorse.com responded to a poll asking, "What are your summer horse plans?"
Results were as follows:
- Trail riding: 76.81% (414)
- Training/lessons: 46.75% (252)
- Going to shows: 30.98% (167)
- Other (please specify): 18.55% (100)
- Going to rodeos: 7.61% (41)
- Racing: 3.71% (20)
Readers shared what they plan to do this summer in the comments below.
Results of weekly polls from TheHorse.com are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter. Published every week, this e-newsletter offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters using the form above or on our e-newsletter page.
Look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!
- trying to keep my ex-show paint mare sound enough to make it thu the year
- barrel racing
- getting my guy healthy, otherwise we would be showing
- To actually get on my horse without him rodeoing all round the yard! Big.prob there.
- making barn & pasture improvements.
- watching them graze
- Putting up enough hay and shavings
- competitve trail rides
- Jul-Aug too hot for horse trials; may do CTs
- Usual summer plans are to work with my spring foals. I did not breed any of my 12 reg. broodmares.
- transition to barefoot
- economy bad, so I will concentrate on lessons and put showing on the back burner to save $$$
- 4-H Horse Club
- getting my green horse going well under saddle
- Hunter Paces, too!
- training for the upcoming season and trails for fun rest days
- Along with trail riding from my farm, camping with my horse and riding in the Tug Platue in NY.
- enjoying time with my horse
- working in the round pen - Downunder Horsemanship techniques
- surviving the extreme florida heat under the stable fans
- Horses turned out to pasture for the summer.
- Too hot here in florida to do much. Will use round pen if weather permits.
- Being active in Pony Club! we have our C2 rating next week!!!
- Big Horn 100
- hope to get at least one horse broke to ride this summer
- just spending quality time with my horse
- driving team of minis
- to buy a new one
- For the first time,I'm breeding for fall 2011 foals because spring & summer shows keep me so busy
- camping with the horse at least once a month.
- I need to spend some serious time with my horse. He's bored.
- training and schooling
- It's been so hot I just like to take my horse on walks down the road, like he's my little puppy!
- Learning to drive and pull other objects
- trail riding if it stops raining in central Illinois!
- keeping them cool in Az desert
- The bugs are so bad, we don't ride when it's over 75 degrees
- Volunteering at NATRC and ACTHA rides, but not competing Heat in TX really hinders a lot of activity.
- i love trail riding, obstacle courses and ground games and ground games
- just getting my 4 yr old started so lots of trail riding & training & lessons
- riding at the beach
- Ground handling - it's HOT in Florida !
- Going to NBHA barrel races & Team Penning
- I get out for a drive early mornings as much as posslble.
- RIDE, RIDE, RIDE!!!
- we take time off through the summer due to the suffocating heat (Texas)
Additionally de-Spooking Practice. We are SPokane County Sheriff's Mounted Patrol.
- getting another horse
- Non-rodeo cow events like Sorting
- Comptetitive Trail & Endurance rides
- Distance riding competitions
- I'm going to ride my brains out!
- Tuning up my youngest
- Live in AZ desert-112 today! Just a little trail riding until fall
- working w/ my 3 foals
- no money this year
- Finish & ride my filly & trail ride w/friends! :)
- Trail riding is my passion!
- Pony Club camp!
- hunter pace, fox hunting starting in August!
- Just hanging out
- I love the long evenings...and the cool mornings
- keeping horses hydrated in the heat
- Nursing my Laminitic horse back to rideability!
- Not much. We're in Florida and the humidity is terrible!
- feeding, cleaning and petting mine... retired
- Grooming, Grazing-in-hand, and lots of lovin!
- It's a pleasure season this year; hit one show.
- and Camping with my horses
- Can't afford anything else
- competitve trail and endurance rides
- dressage lessons
- Hope the flies go away soon.
- also parades and horse camping
- Driving and draft work for all three of my ponies
- Lessons, weather permitting
- Horse camping, trail riding and trail trial competitions. Fun for humans and horses.
- In UK we arrange fun rides to raise money for charities
- enjoyed Sheyenne Natl Grasslands ND trailriding last wkend
- I have a lot at a private camp for horses!
- schooling shows, trying to keep cool
- I like summer the least - heat and biting flies!
- Going swimming in Florida lakes (non-alligator territories)
- Relaxing together
- just riding and enjoying my horse
- Fitting Horses for Sale
- just being with my horse in the pasture without "doing" anything
- Riding in parades
- caring for an orphan foal :(
- My kids to show in 4H
- Keeping my 27 yr old buddy cool and comfortable!
- I really enjoy my lessons, practicing them and also trail riding in the cool, aromatic forests.
- Doing a few clinics as well as the normal showing and riding.
- trail riding to the lake for a cooling swim
- continue rehabing a tendon injury.....
- Just havin fun with our boys.
- horseback archery
- Teaching Therapeutic Riding
- Love the APHA PAC program and will be showing almost every weekend this summer.
- taking horses camping on dude ranch
- We horse camp as much as time and weather allow
- Trail, show, learn
- lots of just riding to improve myself and my horses.
- Competing in Combined Driving Events
- Pack trips in Montana & Colorado. Trail riding in Arizona
- Camping in Wisconsin and Southern IL
- rehab from colic surgery :(
- camp for grownups
- Conditioning according to weather conditions
- Horse camping
- going to the county fair
- Riding around home
- Adopted an OTTB 8-mths ago, next week doing an adult dressage camp with him.
- getting my horse's feet recovered after a very wet winter and spring.
- Enjoy a little riding at home, and give my mares baths.
- Endurance events
- Lots of shows scheduled this year. :)
- doing nothing
About the Author
Megan Arszman received a Bachelor of Science In print journalism and equine science from Murray State University in Murray, Ky., and loves combining her love of horses, photography, and writing. In her “free time,” when she’s not busy working as a horse show secretary or riding her American Quarter Horses on her parents’ Indiana farm, she’s training and competing her Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhund in dog agility and running.
POLL: Trailer Loading Competency