Poll Recap: Horse-Related Resolutions

Poll Recap: Horse-Related Resolutions

The majority of the commenters said their horsey resolution was to spend more time in the saddle or simply more time with their four-legged friends.

Photo: Keith Larson

In last week's online poll, TheHorse.com asked if you made any horse-related New Year's resolutions. More than 350 readers responded and we've tallied the results.

Of the 353 voters, 203 (58%) indicated they had made a horsey resolution for the new year. The other 150 (42%) indicated they had not. Additionally, 65 respondents left comments explaining why they chose their answers.

Some respondents have specific goals they're hoping to achieve with their horses in 2013:

  • "I did this year: Sell my not-so-economical show horses and try my hand at foxhunting instead."
  • "My Haflinger and I are going to compete in driving this year. I am budgeting my money and time."
  • "My resolution this year is to be patient with my horse while I am riding him."
  • "To ride more and to keep both myself and my horse in better shape."
  • "Yes, hopefully I can find a way to get horses for folks with disabilities to ride."
  • "I resolve to ride more and get my buddy back into shape!"
  • "Always! This year is to train and sell a green-broke mare."
  • "Want to become a better rider and horsewoman."
  • "Not to buy any more horses. So far that hasn't been working too well."

Many readers agreed that resolutions aren't for them:

  • "No resolution, just hope I'll be able to spend more time with them."
  • "Can't wait for one day a year to improve things. The other 364 are just as important."

But the majority of the commenters said their horsey resolution was simply to spend more time in the saddle or simply more time with their four-legged friends:

  • "To ride every day, of course!"
  • "Always to ride more!"
  • "I want to spend more time with my horses!"
  • "More time with the horses and less time on the computers!"
  • "More riding, better shows, more clinics!"
  • "It's usually the same one--spend more time enjoying my horse."
  • "I always just remember to have fun no matter what!!!!!!"

The results of our weekly polls are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter, which offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters on our homepage and look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with FREE weekly newsletters from TheHorse.com. Learn More

Free Newsletters

Sign up for the latest in:

From our partners