Poll Recap: Seasonal Respiratory Allergies
Of the 268 respondents, 93 (35%) said their horses suffer from seasonal respiratory allergies.
Spring is in the air! For some horse owners, the warmer weather, sunshine, and budding trees are a welcome sight. But for others, it means it's time to manage their trusty steeds' seasonal allergies.
In last week’s online poll, we asked our readers if their horses suffer from seasonal respiratory allergies. More than 250 people responded, and we’ve tallied the results!
Of the 268 respondents, 93 (35%) said their horses suffer from seasonal respiratory allergies. The remaining 175 respondents (65%) said their horses do not have problems with respiratory allergies.
Additionally, more than 50 people commented about their horse’s respiratory health and how they keep their horses breathing easily:
Some people commented about their horses’ respiratory issues:
- “One horse coughs a little if worked in a dusty environment. SmartBreathe has helped her tremendously.”
- “My old now retired Welsh Cob x TB suffers from emphysema during the winter.”
- “My horse gets hives and coughs. I use Cough Free daily until it clears up.”
- “Only a light runny nose and maybe a little swelling above eyes. They manage without help.”
Several respondents shared how they help their horses breathe easily:
- “I keep his stall window open continuously and wet his stall down daily to help with allergies.”
- “I use antihistamines”
- “10,000 mg MSM and 1,000 mg Ester C keep my mare cough-free with a clear nose.”
- “Cetirizine at 0.3mg per kg BW every 12 hrs. I don't need an inhaler or steroids anymore.”
- “Allergy shots, anti-inflammatories, wet hay, limit dust exposure, lots of turnout.”
- “Vet-prescribed dexamethasone and Ventipulmin.”
- “We use aerosol corticosteroids inhaled with a nebulizer as necessary during peak seasons.”
- “Ventipulmin and steroids.”
- “Wetting his hay well and keeping him out on pasture mostly.”
- “Spirulina Wafers and Breather Powder from Springtime Inc.”
- “After allergy desensitization shots did not work, antihistamines keep things in check.”
- “Water down turnouts, pull weeds, use low-dust bedding.”
- “Soak hay and give Ventilate in feed.”
- “Ventipulmin syrup, ventoline in air”
- “I give him hydroxyzine and rest, he also gets hives”
- “I start her on Spirulina a month prior to her bad season.”
- “I use 'Cough' herbal powder for my geldings respiratory issues. It really helps him to breathe easier.”
- “Equi-resp with silver.”
- “Steam hay, limit pasture turnout, OFAs (Aleira, flaxseed meal), Zyrtec, vaccine, and rarely clenbuterol.”
- “He gets Spirulina and chondrotin sulfate”
- “I give him Airwaves made by Omega Alpha until it has passed.”
- “After using prescription Trihist and then Breathe Easy, I now use 'The Source' and it seems to work.”
- “Dexamethasone, airpower, and ventipulmin”
- “I use a rainmate in the barn.”
And a few individuals said their horse doesn’t suffer from seasonal respiratory allergies:
- “A friend's horse does though, she just avoids working him too hard or during the hot part of the day.”
- “Not respiratory allergies, but I have one allergic to insect bites and gets scabs on his legs.”
- “Thankfully, in 50 years and multiple horses, I've never had one with respiratory allergies.”
- “Fortunately, none of my horses have ever had this problem.”
- “Our horses have the occasional cough, but nothing related to allergies.”
- “Luckily, with all the horses I've owned, I've never had a problem with respiratory allergies.”
You can find more information on equine respiratory allergies, managing horses with asthma, pasture-associated heaves, how to help older, easy-keepers breathe easily and more equine respiratory health resources at TheHorse.com.
This week, we want to know: do you have a "dry lot" (a paddock without grass) on your property to help manage your horse's weight during spring and summer? Vote now and tell us why or why not at TheHorse.com/polls!
The results of our weekly polls are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter, which offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters on our homepage and look for a new poll on TheHorse.com.
About the Author
Jennifer Whittle, TheHorse.com Web Producer, is a lifelong horse owner who competes with her Appaloosas in Western performance events. She is a University of Kentucky graduate and holds a bachelor’s degree in Community Communications and Leadership Development, and master's degree in Career, Technical, and Leadership Education. She currently lives on a small farm in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.
POLL: Public or Private Lands: Where Do You Ride?