Poll Recap: Beet Pulp Buffet

Of 1,286 voters, 841 (65%) indicated they feed beet pulp to their horses. The remaining 445 (35%) said they do not feed beet pulp.

Photo: The Horse Staff

In last week’s poll, we asked readers if they fed beet pulp to their horses. Nearly 1,300 readers responded and we’ve tallied the results

The majority of 1,286 voters—841, or 65%—indicated they feed beet pulp to their horses. The remaining 445 (35%) said they do not feed beet pulp. 

Additionally, 203 users provided comments about feeding beet pulp.  

Several people shared their support for beet pulp:

Poll Results

Of 1,286 voters, 841 (65%) responded indicated they feed beet pulp to their horses.

  • “I am an equine nutritionist and I love beet pulp!”
  • “Beet pulp is excellent as a supplement mixed with a grain of some type. My Mustang thrives on it.”
  • “My horses love beet pulp and the fiber and water it holds is great for their system.”
  • “All 10 of my horses get it every day.”
  • “Great, inexpensive nutrition and the horse loves it!”
  • “I have been using beet pulp for about 20 years. Great stuff.”
  • “Horses love it!”
  • “Much beet pulp is GMO. I will only use non GMO.”
  • “I really love it as an addition to my feed regimen.”
  • “I feed my older horses and hard keepers beet pulp daily.”
  • “Regular part of diet for all. We feed high quality hay with good pasture and supplement for minerals.”
  • “I prefer the pellets over shreds. They can also be given as small treats!”
  • “Very good source of fiber, very good for their GI tract, very digestible. Follow recommendations.”
  • “I wish non-GMO beet pulp was more readily available.”
  • “It is also good for mixing in meds and powdered supplements.”
  • “But it's hard to get in Australia. They import it from England.”

Some readers commented about how they feed beet pulp:

  • “Yes, along with sweet feed and very little alfalfa pellets.”
  • “Every day and I feed it wet.”
  • “I feed mine dry.”
  • “Soaked for at least a couple of hours, but usually I try to soak it during the feeding before.”
  • “Twice a day, well-soaked.”
  • “Only in the winter to help maintain weight and soaked for an hour prior to feeding. Never dry.”
  • “I mix it with vitamin and oil supplements. My horses love it!”
  • “Each one get it soaked two times per day with their feed, year round.”
  • “I actually feed the pellets, and only to the horses that have a difficult time keeping weight on.”
  • “Yes I do in a warm mash with their regular feed.”
  • “Soaked, no molasses, beet pulp everyday for lunch with all their supplements. They love it!”
  • “As a part of senior horse mash.”

Many readers commented about why they feed beet pulp:

  • “Yes, it is an excellent way to keep them hydrated a bit more in the winter. We soak in hot water.”
  • “Yes! It's a great way to give them hot food in the winter and keep weight on my hard keepers.”
  • “Great way to add water to the GI tract, a source or extra calories, and prevention of sand colic.”
  • “To help gain weight.”
  • “Especially good for elderly horses. Also good for mixing in powdered supplements.”
  • “I up the amount on really cold nights, great way to give horse easily burned fiber!”
  • “Good for moisture content and to keep everything moving thru the food factory.”
  • “Beet pulp adds safe calories for my pony with Cushing's/insulin resistance/laminitis.”
  • “Beet pulp was ordered by our vet as part of a diet to help put weight on a horse we rescued.”
  • “Soaked pellets has helped my mare with her weight and digestion.”
  • “Beet pulp helped put weight on my skinny old boy and he's keeping it beautifully. Thank goodness!”
  • “Yes, adds lots of beneficial fiber and water, helping to prevent colic.”
  • “I have a hard-keeper horse who is also insulin resistant. Molasses-free beet pulp is all I can feed.”
  • “I have an older senior horse with dental issues and the beet pulp is easier for him to eat.”
  • “To keep them hydrated especially in cold weather.”
  • “My 30-year-old can no longer eat a lot of hay so beet pulp makes up most of his ration.”
  • “Found out through trying to use it to put weight on my OTTB that it was good for his feet, coat, etc.”
  • “Yes...to supplement extra hay for warmth in winter.”
  • “Use it all winter to help in hydration.”

Others commented why they do not feed beet pulp:

  • “My three Swedish horses do not like it.”
  • “Not good for Cushing horses -  too high sugar.”
  • “No need at this juncture but would if he needed it.”
  • “I personally think that mine don’t need it because they have no problem keeping weight on.”
  • “He does fine on plain ha.y”
  • “They don't like the taste.”
  • “It is not readily available in my area.”
  • “Cannot find any grown organically, pesticide-free.”
  • “Too much trouble to soak and rinse to remove dirt, iron, and sugar.”
  • “I've never tried it; right now I have 'young' horses (under 15), feed straight hay only.”
  • “No, but I appreciate the benefits of beet pulp when its use is indicated.”
  • “Don't feed it to current horse but not against feeding it.”

A few people commented that they have fed beet pulp in the past, but do not currently feed it:

  • “I used to but it gave her too much gas.”
  • “Have fed it to others horses in the past.”
  • “I have fed it in the past, but have a horse that I can't feed any sugars to.”
  • “I have used it in the past but not using it currently.”
  • “Not now, but I did feed it to my old Thoroughbred who has died of old age.”

In this week’s poll, we want to know how you exercise your horse during the winter months. Vote now!

The results of our weekly polls are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter, which offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters on our homepage and look for a new poll on TheHorse.com

About the Author

Jennifer Whittle, TheHorse.com Web Producer

Jennifer Whittle, TheHorse.com Web Producer, is a lifelong horse owner who competes with her Appaloosas in Western performance events. She is a University of Kentucky graduate and holds a bachelor’s degree in Community Communications and Leadership Development, and master's degree in Career, Technical, and Leadership Education. She currently lives on a small farm in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with FREE weekly newsletters from TheHorse.com. Learn More