Poll Recap: Critical Hoof Emergencies

Poll Recap: Critical Hoof Emergencies

Of the 371 voters, 255 (69%) indicated they have managed a serious hoof-related issue.

Photo: Erica Larson, News Editor

In last week's online poll, TheHorse.com asked if you ever have dealt with a critical hoof-related emergency. Nearly 375 readers responded and we've tallied the results.

Of the 371 voters, 255 (69%) indicated they have managed a serious hoof-related issue. The remaining 116 respondents (31%) said they've not yet managed such a problem. Additionally, 74 respondents provided comments about their individual situations.

Two of the most common hoof emergencies voters mentioned managing included laminitis (or founder) and hoof abscesses. Other critical issues included:

  • "The horse stepped on a nail that went through the sole and out the back of the heel bulb. Vet call!"
  • "My last mare had back 1/4 of her hoof (resected) after an injury—she sliced it on a metal gate."
  • "Loss of 1/3 hoof up to the coronary (band during) treatment for white line disease."
  • "A 2.5-inch nail through the sole. Horse was mildly lame but had a high, 104° fever."
  • "My gelding kicked off half a hind hoof in the trailer. Blood smeared everywhere, but he was never lame."
  • "A yearling slid a foot under metal sheeting and sliced 1 1/2 " by 1 1/2 " slice down to the top of the hoof."
  • "Fractured coffin bone in hind foot."
  • "My Arab colt caught hoof under stall wall, pulled most of it off. Healed deformed, but he was breeding sound."

And one reader offered a sound piece of advice for owners facing serious hoof problems: "Don't mess around—call the vet!"

The results of our weekly polls are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter, which offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters on our homepage and look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!

About the Author

Erica Larson, News Editor

Erica Larson, news editor, holds a degree in journalism with an external specialty in equine science from Michigan State University in East Lansing. A Massachusetts native, she grew up in the saddle and has dabbled in a variety of disciplines including foxhunting, saddle seat, and mounted games. Currently, Erica competes in eventing with her OTTB, Dorado.

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with FREE weekly newsletters from TheHorse.com. Learn More