Injured Thoroughbred Racehorse Banned Scheduled for Surgery

Multiple graded stakes winner Banned is expected to undergo an attempt at life-saving surgery Sept. 24 to repair a pair of broken sesamoids in his right ankle, injuries suffered after a routine half-mile work at Santa Anita Park, located in Arcadia, Calif., Sept. 22.

Craig Bernick, owner of the 3-year-old Kitten's Joy colt, said through Twitter that veterinarians give the horse a "20% chance" of surviving. Bernick, who races Banned under his Glen Hill Farm, said surgery will be performed if there is enough blood flow to the ankle.

Banned's trainer Tom Proctor said the surgery would be performed at Santa Anita.

"He has been a good patient. He's laying down and keeping his weight off the foot," Proctor said. "He's giving himself a good chance but it's too early to tell.

"It was just one of the freak deals. He was having an easy half-mile breeze and pulled up."

Banned has won three graded stakes in 2011--the May 6 American Turf and June 18 Jefferson Cup at Churchill Downs, and Sept. 4 Del Mar Derby in his most recent start. He has a 5-1-2 record from 10 career starts and earnings of $599,476.

Fifth in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf last year, Banned was purchased by Bernick for $130,000 at the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky 2009 fall yearling sale. His breeder, Ken Ramsey, consigned the colt.

About the Author

Jason Shandler

Jason Shandler is a staff writer for The Blood-Horse magazine.

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with FREE weekly newsletters from Learn More

Free Newsletters

Sign up for the latest in:

From our partners