Poll: Majority of Readers Have Not Used PRP Therapy
- May 10, 2011
More than 300 readers of TheHorse.com responded to a poll asking, "For which of the following injuries has your horse been treated with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy?"
Results were as follows:
- I have had no experience with PRP: 74.84%
- Tendon/ligament Injury: 15.92%
- Wounds: 6.37%
- Joint pain: 2.87%
Readers shared experiences with PRP in the comments below.
Results of weekly polls from TheHorse.com are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter. Published every week, this e-newsletter offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters using the form above or on our e-newsletter page.
Look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!
- gelding with bowed tendon two injections with PRP, totally healed within three months
- Coffin bone infection - post-surgery to help with clotting.
- With max restraint possible under quite a few professionals, my horse still hated this procedure.
- Saved my horse's life after a 90% hind DDFT rupture!
- I use homeopathic and holistic medicine to treat my horses. It works better and is much less expensi
- worked great! Time is a great healer too.
- eye injury
- Both low-low bow on DDFT and Joint pain. Excellent resuts
- ...but would defintiely give it a try if necessary &/or available
- combined it with shock wave therapy for bowed tendon, worked great
- My horse was sedated to the max without putting him under, had a lip & shoulder twitch, stud chain,
- great results
- Dancer tore her near side tendon front leg. I considered it, but have opted for Acuscope treatment
- my horse got a bacterial infection in his eye
- ouchy !
- treated for proximal suspensary desmitis
- no experience, no need
- R & L hind suspensory, so far very good results on my 20 year old trail gelding
- Suspensory with 100% healing
- too much money
- No experience with PRP.
- eye injury
- I had a mare treated with this 5 years ago when it was not a well known therapy. It worked
- followed up by stem cell ,unbelivable result so far
- high suspensory tear, COMPLETE and do mean complete recovery!
- retired broodmare
- LG QTR crk coronet, not healin, applied PRP... let the healing begin!!!!! awesome!
- Worked great and was not as expensive as I thought it would be. Vet did stall side.
- Excellent! Combine it with versatron shockwave for the best results ever!!!
About the Author
Megan Arszman received a Bachelor of Science In print journalism and equine science from Murray State University in Murray, Ky., and loves combining her love of horses, photography, and writing. In her “free time,” when she’s not busy working as a horse show secretary or riding her American Quarter Horses on her parents’ Indiana farm, she’s training and competing her Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhund in dog agility and running.
POLL: University Equine Hospitals