Heater Blamed for Deadly Ohio Barn Fire

Fire officials in Colerain Township, Ohio, have determined that an electric heater used to warm a newborn calf was responsible for a fire that swept through a barn at a Crabbet Arabian breeding farm, killing 24 horses.

Capt. Darian Edwards of the Colerain Township Fire Department said that at 5:30 a.m. on April 5, fire crews responded to an emergency call about a barn fire at the Oasis Farm near Cincinnati.

At the time of the incident 40 horses were stabled inside the barn along with a newborn calf, Edwards said. Of those, 24 horses were killed in the blaze including one horse which had sustained extensive burns and was euthanized by a responding veterinarian. The calf also died, reported Edwards.

Firefighters and other responders led 16 other horses to safety. Of those, two horses that had sustained severe burns were transported to a local veterinary hospital for treatment, Edwards said. No information about those horses' condition was available. 

Through a spokesperson, Oasis Farm co-owner Deb Crosby said those horses were responding well to treatment.

The accidental fire started when the heater used to warm the calf ignited straw located. in the area where the calf was kept, Edwards said.

 

About the Author

Pat Raia

Pat Raia is a veteran journalist who enjoys covering equine welfare, industry, and news. In her spare time, she enjoys riding her Tennessee Walking Horse, Sonny.

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with FREE weekly newsletters from TheHorse.com. Learn More

Free Newsletters

Sign up for the latest in:

From our partners