Poll: Majority of Readers Welcome New Year with Dewormer
- Mar 1, 2011
Exactly 775 readers of TheHorse.com responded to a poll asking, "When do you administer dewormer for the first time in a new year?"
Results were as follows:
- Jan. 1 to Feb. 28: 50.97% (395)
- Mar. 1 to Apr. 30: 36.39% (282)
- May 1 to June 30: 5.81% (45)
- I use a daily dewormer product: 4.39% (34)
- I don't deworm my horse(s): 2.06% (16)
- Nov. 1 to Dec. 31: 0.39% (3)
- July 1 to Aug. 31: 0.00% (0)
- Sept. 1 to Oct. 31: 0.00% (0)
Readers shared their deworming plans in the comments below.
Results of weekly polls from TheHorse.com are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter. Published every week, this e-newsletter offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters using the form above or on our e-newsletter page.
Look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!
- Parasite-free property (for years). Have fecal checks done biannually.
- I live at 5600 ft high and it's cold.
- My deworming schedule is timed with my farrier's visits, every 6 weeks
- with a product best suited to killing encysted larvae
- We have always wormed 4 x's year, we are changing to 2 x's/year. We clip our pastures, use rotation.
- Fecal egg counts indicate when to deworm (winter deworming is for bot larvae and tapes)
- When the ground is no longer frozen and the days are warm enough to support parasite survival.
- just before the green grass grows for grazing
- This is not a meaningful question -- Age sets the scedule for young horses, foaling/breeding for mar
- people think parasites die in the winter, they do not, so I make sure they are cleaned for spring
- I do a Powerpak in January
- get fecal first to make sure they have worms
- this year we started fecal egg count, and deworm according to our horse's needs.
- we do fecals every 8 weeks and deworm as needed. surprised you dont list this as an option here
- I also use garlic and apple cider vinegar daily in his grain
- i dont have a horse but want to get one!
- 4 x's a year, spring, july, first frost, and then the end of december
- Tapecare Plus (Pyrantel Pamoate)
- I use a paste dewormer twice per year in adition.
- January is Safeguard for me.
- equest pramox
- moxidectin in March
- Use CW wormer & paste worm once after 1st hard freeze. Should I consider not using daily wormer?
- live in moderate southern climate with limited space, no rotation of pasture available
- Use daily wormer plus a dose of Equimax in March & September. Texas
- We live in FL, our winter is warm, so we start early
- I deworm only when fecal egg counts indicate for each individual.
- I rotationally deworm my horse six times a year, every even month..
- I also do a purge with ievermectin in March or April in addition to the daily dewormer.
- our horses are wormed at 12 week intervals, with a rotation of products. Parasite count done in Apr
- I use Quest or Panacure in Feb. for incested larvae.
- I deworm when a fecal egg count shows it needs to be done
- I worm quarterly.
- fecal tests determine timing
- I only deworm after I get a positive fecal check. I check every 4 mo.
- I do fecile tests to determine who needs deworming first, sometimes I only de-worm 1x a yr
- Diaotamaous Earth, helps with worms and fly population, we check fecal for worms 2 times a year
- I do FECs on them in March and confer w/my vet
- Valentine's, Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Tgiving for tapeworm
- Timing will depend on your location, I am in Northern Ontario Canada - this is when the snow goes.
- I deworm every other month starting with Jan. 1st except for my minis, who are given a daily wormer
- I check the feces for eggs to determine when to deworm.
- I use diatomaceous earth and do fecal egg counts
- You don't have a "none of the above" I worm when they need it not by the calander
- Follow the schedule set by my vet.
- Do fecal checks, don't need to deworm.
- I deworm every 2-3 months.
- worm for Tapeworms in spring then do worm counts twice in summer
- Daily dewormer nips the baby bugs in the bud. No worm load for my guy.
- we should all be doing fecals, I believe
- panacur powerpak
- It's not based on the calendar; depends on when it was last done, and FEC if done.
- also ourge twice a year, April and Oct
- Every six weeks year round. It's the Vet's suggestion for our mild climate.
- daily dewormer and a paste by the end of April (we are the only one at the barn on a daily)
- Don't - Neg fecal counts. Will worm when needed , low stress, good health, Equinezyme
- After fecal parasite testing, I have gone to deworming twice a year rather than 6 times a year.
- I have a regular schedule set by my vet. I am deworming every other month.
- diatomaceous earth
- i dont .i pick up dung daily.and do worm counts twice a year,havent used a wormer for 16 years.
- 6 weeks after the last previous deworming unless circumstances require it more often
- My horses ar wormed every 6 to 8 weeks
- when the faecal egg count is indicating treatment (above epg 200)
- May, since we live in northern MN.
- I deworm with a paste 2x a year. I feed a daily supplement that contains diatomaceous earth in it .
- Our veterinarians are recommeding we get a fecal worm count first
- I have a fecal done if no worms I don't deworm
- I use natural dewormers (herbal, garlic, etc)
- I don't deworm unless the fecal check comes back positive and then I deworm for what my horses have.
- We use Strongid C and Ivermectin 2 to 3 times per year
- ivermecton, after heavy frost for bots
- Worms, like mosquitoes, are year round in SoCal.
- everytime the ferrier comes
- We deworm based on fecal analyses.
- I rotate wormers once every two months
- fecal samples twice per year & worm accordingly
- I use Strongid-C, but still deworm with paste during April and October.
- Every 60 days
- when Farrier comes
- On my vet's recommendation for this area, the first D/W is Ivermectin, at thebeginning of February.
- Dewormed every 6 weeks all year
- Twice yearly plus daily feed through
- we worm year round
- every 4 months
- Ivermectin q3months + Strongid every February
- In the hot humid climate, we must worm year round.
- based on FEC's
- Use daily wormer, paste 2x a year and fecals once a year.
- I live in a fairly cold region but HUGE believer in regular rotational worming
- Do targeted deworming with fecal egg counts and vet recommended schedule based on results.
- every 2 months rotating between 4 different products
- Panacur .... New Years Day
- vet is now saying we should worm less and just check stool and treat as needed. thinking of changin
- 6 weeks from last deworming...no matter what the date
- Usually end of Feb, before spring thaw.
- I shoe every 8 weeks and that's the day I worm all 8 horses since they're already caught.
- I warm about 4 times a year
- started doing fecal egg counts last year so won't deworm too often
About the Author
Megan Arszman received a Bachelor of Science In print journalism and equine science from Murray State University in Murray, Ky., and loves combining her love of horses, photography, and writing. In her “free time,” when she’s not busy working as a horse show secretary or riding her American Quarter Horses on her parents’ Indiana farm, she’s training and competing her Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhund in dog agility and running.
POLL: Equine Youth Programs