Accidental Electrocution Confirmed in Death of Newbury Racehorses

Accidental electrocution has been confirmed as the cause of death of two racehorses that collapsed Feb. 12 in the paddock at Newbury Racecourse in England, according to a report from Horse and Hound.

Necropsy reports for both horses indicate they suffered from sudden cardiac arrest as the result of accidental electric discharge from an underground cable. The report states that the cable has since been removed and the paddock is now considered safe for use.

According to Horse and Hound, Stephen Higgins, joint managing director of Newbury Racecourse said: "The investigation by Southern Electric Power Distribution continues to establish the cause of the electrical leakage."

Racing will resume at Newbury on Feb. 18.

About the Author

Erica Larson, News Editor

Erica Larson, News Editor, holds a degree in journalism with an external specialty in equine science from Michigan State University in East Lansing. A Massachusetts native, she grew up in the saddle and has dabbled in a variety of disciplines including foxhunting, saddle seat, and mounted games. Currently, Erica competes in three-day eventing with her OTTB, Dorado, and enjoys photography in her spare time.

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with FREE weekly newsletters from Learn More

Free Newsletters

Sign up for the latest in:

From our partners