Readers Share Dewormer Preference
- Aug 31, 2010
More than 460 readers of TheHorse.com responded to a poll asking, "Which of the following dewormers do you use to treat encysted small strongyles?"
Results were as follows:
- Ivermectin: 35.57% (164)
- Moxidectin (e.g., Quest): 25.60% (118)
- Pyrantel Pamoate (e.g., Strongid): 19.09% (88)
- Fenbendazole (e.g., Panacur): 15.84% (73)
- Other 3.90% (18)
Readers shared what they prefer to use in the comments below.
Results of weekly polls from TheHorse.com are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter. Published every week, this e-newsletter offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters using the form above or on our e-newsletter page.
Poll sponsored by Intervet Schering-Plough Animal Health.
Look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!
- As a 5-day double-dose series
- Ivermectin can be use full in ways never ne. My vet diagnosed my horse with this because he was rubb
- Does anything else get them besides moxidectin?
- Panacur Power Pack
- quest 1st if unsatisfactory results then power pack
- quest plus
- use both Ivermectin and PowerPack (5day, double dose) 2 months apart
- Equest plus
- Powerpac is the only thing that worked
- eqvalan Gold. ivermectin and praziquantel
- Panacur Power Pak (fenbendazole) 5 doses
- moxidectin is the only active that kills encysted small strongyles
- Along with quarterly ivermectin - still have 0 fecal egg counts.
- Always do rotational dewormers & natural herbs!
- PowerPack/double dose/5 days
- fenbendazole in past but moxidectin next
- I use Equimax in March & November, Zimectrin Gold in August & Quest in Oct. Panacur 5 Dec.or Jan.
- Use a rotation of wormers ie Quest, Ivermectin, Ivermectin Gold, Albendazole.
- Use Quest when needed as determined by FECs. It's the only one effective in 1 dose!!!
- all of them on a rotation schedule
- Zimectin Gold
- I generally use Ivermectin, but i do rotate with Panacur and Pyrantel Pamoate.
- different dewormers each time, like to 'rotate'
- Panacur Power Pak every March
- I rotate the wormers. Hopefully, the worms won't build up a resistance to them
- I donot use chemical dewormers I use an herbal one called n.o.m.s. and one called worm clear and do
- Discuss with Vet and she makes reccomendations
- and follow up 2xs yearly Zimectrin Gold
- ROTATION! Pyrantel pamoate: Jan & July. Ivermectin: Mar-May-Sept. Tapeworm: Nov
- PANACUR POWER PAC
- double dose for five days
- power pack
- I also use Equimax 2 x's year
- diamataceous earth
- Rotate Rotate Rotate Ivermec & Moxi
- for summer months
- Larvacidal dose of Fenbendazole which can be bought as Power Pac
- barn owner does it - don't even know what she uses!
- panacur powerpac
- 5 day double dose fenbendazole
- Safe-Guard Power-Dose
- Usually do 5 day double dose with Panacur then a Moxidectin drench 7 days later on my youngstock
- we power pack using SafeGuard
- diatomaceaous earth & healthy living
- Quest Plus
- My Vet does a spray in mouth he invented and mixes his own
- Only effective active against ency.strong in one dose.
About the Author
Megan Arszman received a Bachelor of Science In print journalism and equine science from Murray State University in Murray, Ky., and loves combining her love of horses, photography, and writing. In her “free time,” when she’s not busy working as a horse show secretary or riding her American Quarter Horses on her parents’ Indiana farm, she’s training and competing her Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhund in dog agility and running.
POLL: Rabies Vaccination