Readers Resolve: More Horse Time in 2010
- Dec 30, 2009
More than 720 readers of TheHorse.com responded to a poll asking, "What is your top New Year's resolution for you and your horse for 2010?"
Results were as follows:
- Spend more time with my horse 55.05% (398)
- Reach a competition goal 19.78% (143)
- Other (explain below) 12.17% (88)
- Purchase a new horse 3.87% (28)
- Organize my feed/tack rooms 3.60% (26)
- Participate in a clinic with a renowned trainer 2.90% (21)
- Schedule health maintenance (farrier, deworming, vaccinations) ahead of time 2.63% (19)
Readers shared what they plan for 2010 in the comments below.
Results of weekly polls from TheHorse.com are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter. Published every week, this e-newsletter offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters using the form above or on our e-newsletter page.
Look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!
- Find a new Vet, we just moved out of state
- getting a custom-fit saddle at last!
- Try something totally new for me - sorting and working around cattle with my new little QH mare.
- Less time caring for my horses and the farm, more time riding and driving my horses
- Ride more!
- I want to discipline myself to simply ride more often. I'm at the barn everyday but get lazy.
- Desensitize my horse to a ring full of other horses and hit a show or two
- My horse was diagnosed with a tendon injury exactly one month ago and my goal is to have her sound
- Being with my horse makes me feel relaxed and content, and what's better than that?
- RIDE not just feed and groom
- train my 2yr old stallion under saddle without a round pen
- I want to earn my bronze medal in dressage
- can't just hope to find time, must schedule it
- Get more riding time in so that I can show off my adopted mustang at the next BLM event.
- Spend more time riding & less time on horse/related chores - simplify horse my life!
- Busy days, wish for more time to enjoy my horse.
- Ride a lot more!
- I have a new OTTB and am looking forward to doing more with her this spring.
- look for a horse in need of adoption
- work with my horses more and get the dentist scheduled
- I've got to make this a priority!
- Continue to help stop horse slaughter
- If i dont deploy, actually get to event again
- Have been too busy over the past 3 years concentrating on getting a business up and running
- fix the mud problem at the barn entrance
- get all the young horses started under saddle!
- Maintain my 23 yr. old mare in good health and stabling
- I'm receiving an inheritance-my mare needs bone scan/therapy for old injury
- get new horse ready for gaming shows
- I'm getting started with driving training so I want to start using my horses around the farm.
- help out a rescue
- still be able to afford to keep my horse.
- Earn the trust of my new horse who's pretty scared right now
- find employment for my horses so they can start to support me
- focus on more showing
- Ride, ride, ride!
- Definitely-ride more often!
- More turn out time
- recovering from arm surgery want to groom w/o pain
- I take my horse walks like you would a dog. THAT is some quality time spent!
- Keep health problems at bay long enough to enjoy them.
- I need to find help to exercise my horses more.
- get horses into better shape
- get both me and my horse in better physical condition
- more saddle time
- Talk my husband into taking in a rescue.
- research and learn better food management, my horses are over weight and I worry problems are coming
- I am blessed to have the horse I always dreamed of-now I need time to enjoy her!
- more ride time
- We're going to try and save just one more abused or abandoned horse if we can
- Ride more, even when it's cold. I'm a weather wimp!
- Create a stronger bond with my horses.
- Sell some horses!
- My goal is to return to Congress (All American Quarter Horse Congress) in Columbus, OH in 2010 !
- Ride more often!!!
- gated horses
- Send my horse to a renowned trainer for foundational education.
- I need to be with my horse instead of cleaning up after other neglectful, so called horse owners.
- clean their feet more often. I'm not very good at doing that on a reg. basis
- learn to ride better
- As a busy mom of 2 boys who play hockey in the winter I spend more time in ice arenas then sand ones
- & Take him on more walks than just riding him
- to keep my horse healthy and to spend quality time with him as he is getting older
- Spend more time training, riding and enjoying my horses, with competition as a possibility.
- spend more time riding
- More trail rides with my friends and begin learning the basics of jumping
- Buy a horse property
- Get my health back so I can spend more time
- Reach a training goal
- make it to and compete in, with my new 5 y/o, the maclay nationals
- Not only just riding, but also just playing around with her on the ground and grooming
- Into the canter classes instead of walk/trot by the August show *hoping May)
- Get more riding & training in! :D
- Spend more time actually rideing my horse not just spending time or money .
- ride more often
- have them ready for work and out to show off
- Lead changes,lead changes, lead changes
- to begin training for Endurance Racing. This is something new for both me and my horse.
- Take Dressage lessons and gain confidence to ride green Arab gelding
- be able to participate in a combined driving event without making a fool of myself!
- Ride more
- My horse has spooking issues i.e. lack of confidence in me.
- purchase place for me and my horses
- we are planning on competing in several shows, as well as the C2 and C3 level pony club ratings:)
- Lose weight to help my horse
- More riding time + clinics fairly often.
- if my knee heals properly
- ride more
- more riding
- Ride more regularly
- Ride more
- LOSE WEIGHT AND GET IN SHAPE so I will be the best for my young horse when I train her!
- I keep things pretty organized.Have a wonderful instructer,horse, etc.Learn as much as possible.
- Both of us need more exercise!
- Keep my horse sound and healthy for another year.
- we've had a good year and will continue the balanced diet and regular exercise to keep her young.
- I'm 41 and started hunter jumper lessons last year. I want to compete at 2'
- And slightly less with other folk's horses.
- Open Slaughter Houses
- Get my Parelli level 3!
- trail ride more!
- spend more time...before the global carbon nuts take it away
- To lose some pounds so I can ride my horse therfore getting him fit to compete
- go to less shows, but w/more $$ added. LIghten the load on my 18 year old barrel horse. :)
- become overall a better (dressage) rider.
- Ride more!!
- Ride him more often
- Ride out on the trails more as my horse totally enjoys this activity
- declutter the house while continuing my riding schedul
- finish building arena
- I don't ride as much as I should.
- Assist "re-home matches and discourage breeding!
- master the canter!
- Ride as much as possible!!
- 4-h regionals, here we come!!!!!
- I need to lose weight and train my new 4 1/2 yr old TWH
- Want to be more active this year with my barrel horse. Do more Rodeos and compete more Becky Rollins
- become a better rider
- Do more ground work in the round pen.
- Trail ride more often
- I want to have every one of my horses trained to the point of riding safely. No untrained greenies!
- Work less, ride more
- Learning to ride english after being a western girl. Health maintenance is a good idea too!
- find time to ride more
- Started showing my 3 yr old in western classes (schooling shows) and want to try versatility/stock
- Rehabbing from a broken leg, both of us start getting back in shape after being down for so long.
- I have two horses and both need rode more. No one to ride with.
- good quailty feed and spending time with my horse,
- build a round pen
- get in shape (me and the horse)
- Better marketing
- Feel competent riding my Thoroughbred
- To move my horse home with me!
- finish breaking the green 4 yr old
- Improve by bond with my horse.
- Go on lots more trail rides!!
- Boy, all of your resolution ideas make up most of my list. thanks
- Enjoy training and using my own horses more.
- Feed,deworm,vaccinate,trim/shoe,train make them happy and valuable.
- do some shows with my new youngster
- take some lessons
- I am selfish. It just makes me fel good to be with horse.
- I want to train my first Anadalusian to reach first level dressage on my own
- Stop allowing work to interfere with my riding! (As if)
- Assure the safety and passage of R.O.A.M.
- I want to get my young horse on the trail
- Get my 13 year old her own horse so I don't have to share my 30 year old mare.
About the Author
Megan Arszman received a Bachelor of Science In print journalism and equine science from Murray State University in Murray, Ky., and loves combining her love of horses, photography, and writing. In her “free time,” when she’s not busy working as a horse show secretary or riding her American Quarter Horses on her parents’ Indiana farm, she’s training and competing her Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhund in dog agility and running.
POLL: Rabies Vaccination