Spooky Steeds: Readers Share Halloween Horse Plans
- Nov 10, 2009
More than 570 readers of TheHorse.com responded to a poll asking, "Are you dressing your horse up for Halloween?"
Results were as follows:
- No, I don't have plans 79.38% (458)
- Yes, I love getting into the spirit 16.12% (93)
- I don't know 4.51% (26)
Readers shared their Halloween plans in the comments below.
Results of weekly polls from TheHorse.com are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter. Published every week, this e-newsletter offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters using the form above or on our e-newsletter page.
Look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!
- yes I did it was awesome :)
- I am going to be a doll
- check them out and be sure they are safe
- staying home
- my horse loves attention, even if it means putting objects on her body.
- We have a barrel race here for Halloween and lots of girls dress their horses for a contest.
- My mare is Dressing as a mouse and I will be a cat
- my mare is going to be lion and my daughter is the lion tamer
- Just another day, says me and my horse.
- The less stress for her the better!!!
- Star's Little Red Tiding Hood & I'm the Big Bad Wolf
- We dress horse and rider up and trick or treat the neighborhood & family
- My current horse has a sense of humor-he seems to like being "dressed up"
- Our barn had it's Halloween party, but my gelding gets scared when he sees other horses dressed up.
- my white arab is a zebra and my quarter mare is a witch.
- It's "requested" by the woman I'm taking a lesson/clinic with on the 31st, don't know what I'm doing
- I'll be the devil and my gray will be a red-spotted appy
- lol no mine will eat i think haha
- Used to--but I'm in an adult barn now--feel silly doing it alone.
- I would love too, but might not have enough time to make one
- Our boarding barn does Boo at the Barn but this year my girls just want to go w/o dressing up.
- When my daughter was young, I took her on my horse around the neighborhood as the headless horseman.
- Sonny's dressing as Dennis the Meanace
- Yes we have a contest each year at our barn
- I'm hiding my horses away from trick or treaters because of possible abuse.
- You're kidding, right?
- Mine don't need any excuses to act like idiots!
- MY OTTB barn name is Batman so he will be himself and I will be catwoman
- Will be keeping mine inside and away from the craziness and noise.
- he wore an indian headress
- "Dressing" for any reason would be below my mare's dignity!! She wouldn't allow it.
- Would love to dress him up but have no opportunity. :(
- Riding Group does a costume ride and potluck together each year.
- Next year I will dress up one of the ponies and tak it with the kids...kids too young this year
- were camping & doing a benifit obstacle challenge with a costume contest to follow.
- normally I would, but I will be out of town. ;-(
- We are having a party and contest at our barn! Lots of fun!
- Emphatically NO!
- We are dressing up the horses at Special Equestrians, a riding therapy program. All 9 horses!
- I don't "do" Halloween at all; it doesn't flip my switch
- Halloween was fun, now it is elevated to industrial complex holiday. Buy less, stay green.
- This year she will be a zombie bride, last year she was a unicorn!
- my horse is an animal not a person.
- ballerina with a pink too too
- I don't celebrate the devils day
- Costume Contest - I am going to be a vampire and my horse is going to be a Werewolf
- but I have in the past
- Always won costume class at shows - made full sheet,neck, head costume in black w/stars & moons
- we have halloween party with costume contest at our barn every year --we did 3 pigs & big bad wolf
- I encourage my lesson students to wear their costumes to the barn for a picture with the horses :)
- Horse is going as the Cowardly Lion; I will be Dorothy!
- You have got to be kidding......
- My horses would kill me!
- stay home and just spend time with my horse
- But I do dress up all of my dogs and my foster dogs - and folks come just to see them!
- $ of us are going to dress up ythe horses and ride into the village
- at our barn we have a costume parade and all the kids and horses are dressed up.
- I'll be spending time auditing the Robert Dover Symposium with Robert Dover and Darren Chiacchia.
- No, Halloween scares me.
- we don't celebrate Halloween
- sometimes i put a little something on him, but i don't get into it much.
- The riding lesson kids are painting and putting custumes on their horses
- would if it would stop raining
- For years my daughter and a friend dressed their horses for the Halloween Jump off at the NKHA Show!
- My horse and goat wil get treats, but no costume.
- No but my barn mates do
- she will be dressed as the merry widow.with spiders on her black veiled hat..lol
- We do a Hallowe'en on Horseback where 15 horses and riders dress up to raise $ for theraputic riding
- Barn party, costumed horses and riders, games, prizes, food
- Not this year
- Are you kidding? Horses don't even like blankets, let alone costumes!
- for halloween charity trail ride
- will be gone to see Willie Nelson
About the Author
Megan Arszman received a Bachelor of Science In print journalism and equine science from Murray State University in Murray, Ky., and loves combining her love of horses, photography, and writing. In her “free time,” when she’s not busy working as a horse show secretary or riding her American Quarter Horses on her parents’ Indiana farm, she’s training and competing her Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhund in dog agility and running.
POLL: Managing Working Horses