Rabies: Readers Share Their Choice of Vaccine
- Oct 10, 2009
More than 650 readers of TheHorse.com responded to a poll asking, "Does your horse receive an equine-specific or multi-species vaccine?"
Results were as follows:
- Equine-specific vaccine 60.18% (393)
- Horse is vaccinated, but I don't know which type 15.47% (101)
- Multi-species vaccine 13.32% (87)
- I don't vaccinate for rabies 10.11% (66)
- Other 0.92% (6)
Readers shared what their veterinarians use in the comments below.
Poll sponsored by Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health.
Results of weekly polls from TheHorse.com are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter. Published every week, this e-newsletter offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters using the form above or on our e-newsletter page.
Look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!
- equine vet takes care of it
- Given by vet, so I assume he is using equine-specific - I will ask next time
- Wildlife is everywhere, bats are both in the city and countryside. What vet is so stupid ?
- Imrab 3 by Merial
- Why have these surveys become so boring? Enough with rabies!
- My horses get both... equine specific and multi-species specific (rabies)
- Vet saisd we don't need it! L.A. County!~
- I stopped giving them the vaccine because they coliced all the time.They haven't coliced since.....
- Switching to Equine next spring.
- Vaccine by Merial
- My horse get his rabies shot every year!
- will receive Equirab next time
- we worm with equimax but im not sure if we vaccinate with the same stuff
- My vet will only vaccinate with equine specific vaccines.
- I have a WONDERFUL vet (wish I could find a people doctor as good!)
- Multi-species vaccine was all I could locate at this time.
- 6 in 1 shot
- my horse has a rection to equine vaccine so receives canine
- 23 yr old gelding could avoid if titres were allowdd
- Rabies isn't a problem here (Pac NW), and my three fellows don't travel.
- once in the spring and in the fall
- my vet administers it, so not sure which type
- Now I'll have to ask my vet/
- Rabisan is the vaccine used in Southern Africa for all species
- He's a horse! not a ??????
- We don't have equine rabies in our area.
- Also recieves rabies -- has for 10+ years.
- horse shots for horses, dog shots for dogs.
- Equine Vet, I never thought to ask!
- would prefer equine specific but my vet doesn't have any
- Whatever the vet recomends
- head shaking
- my vet does it every spring to protect in the summer
- rabid animals may wander through the pasture and leave rabies savila on the grazing area.
- Horses get vac.when they get all the other shots they need
- vet recommended against rabies vaccination
- Very necessary vaccination.
- I did vaccinate for rabies when I lived in a part of the country where rabies risk was higher.
- I have vaccinated for rabies for years, so I use to use a multi-species way back when
- with Rabies having to be given by a vet many folks just don't bother. Me included.
- Good question - I'll ask next time!!
- In 40 yrs of having horses have never vaccinated for rabies. It was never recommend to me before.
- 5 WAY YEARLY SHOTS
- every year for years
- all are vacinated for rabies plus other shots
- African Horse Sickness & Rabies
- vet vaccinates them, haven't asked if they were species specific
- defindently equine specific
- My vet uses ImRab 3, made by Merial
About the Author
Megan Arszman received a Bachelor of Science In print journalism and equine science from Murray State University in Murray, Ky., and loves combining her love of horses, photography, and writing. In her “free time,” when she’s not busy working as a horse show secretary or riding her American Quarter Horses on her parents’ Indiana farm, she’s training and competing her Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhund in dog agility and running.