You Told Us: Favorite Happy News on TheHorse.com
- Dec 30, 2008
A total of 700 readers of TheHorse.com responded to a poll asking, "Which happy stories did you most enjoy on TheHorse.com this year?"
- Elmer Bandit's quest for the record 63.14% (442)
- Thoroughbred Adoption Service 14.00% (98)
- Funny Cide's second career 12.29% (86)
- Olympic coverage 4.71% (33)
- Dirty jobs for horses 3.86% (27)
- Other 2.00% (14)
Readers shared why they chose their favorite in the comments below.
Results of weekly polls from TheHorse.com are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter. Published every week, this e-newsletter offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters using the form above or on our e-newsletter page.
Look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!
- Arab fan.
- Elmer is truly one in a million. In my lifetime I may never see another like him.
- shows older horses still have what it takes, if they are cared for properly, and trained properly.
- olympic coverage
- We know Elmer so it has been fun to see him in the news setting records.
- A truly amazing horse and a wonderful story :)
- Nice to know an old horse is still useful and his been well cared for by one owner all these years
- Two good Horse people took special care of a nice horse.
- Elmer Bandit - inspiring
- Refreshing and enlightening storay about Elmer AND his middle-aged female owner/rider!
- Dramatic Winter Rescue of Canadian Horse trapped under the hay feeder in snow, which ended happily
- helps to save a lot of horses
- I love the fact that an "old pro" was able to still be in his element after his career was done!
- Elmer, and his owner, are just the best!
- I'm an endurance rider
- a great idea and very much needed
- Elmer proves good owners can be role models
- to know that even one horse has a chance for a second life feels good.
- red ransom
- I have always liked following race horses.
- Elmer Bandit-I am an Arabian lover and also own an adopted 30 year old Thoroughbred so am always gla
- As an older rider it was inspiring to me.
- I was impressed with Elmers zest for life and Mrs. Woods devotion to Elmer and her sport.
- It took him a lifetime to catch a Saddlebred! I think Wing Tempo should get back on the trail!
- Because there are so many who need good homes
- enjoyed Elmer's story, but throughbred adoption was most worthy
- The QH foal, Lucky, his amazing survival
- A good story. A happy old working horse, used with care.
- My Favorites Option on your website. Terrific idea!
- shows if you care for a horse, it can live a long and productive life
- Hero going to Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch
- Elmer Bandit's
- Read The Horse for news and info, not happy stories
- I was amazed by him. Elmer gets my vote
- love reading about he older horses hope my girls have as long and happy a life as elmer
- Vet coverage of stint in Moroccan animal hospital
- Molly the use of prosthesis
- good cause
- Elmer BAndit is just so extraoridnary!
- Inspirational on so many levels!
- Great to see how well an older horse who is well taken care of can perform.
- Adoption of thoroughbreds is the best way to handle retirees!
- Elmer Bandit
- Way to go Elmer!!!!!
- Elmer Bandit because he's 37 years old & put horses half his age to shame. Go Elmer!
- I have copeted against & Judged Elmer & he has my respect
- This proves that it doesn't matter how old your horse is!!
- Elmer got out there and got it done long after many owners would have cast him away. Kudos to all!!
- Elmers story is one of inspiration to us all .
- Refreshing to see a horse properly cared for & used into old age
- The young verteinarian who traveled to Africa and kept a journal--so much goodwill!
- Awesome, inspiring, hopeful, fantastic!
- What a horse!! Quite the spirit for an Arab bloodline!
- we need to appreciate the wonderful contribution the horse makes to enrich our lives.
- Elmer Bandit and his rider are an inspiration to the rest of us!
- Elmer Bandit! Incredible bond between horse and owner
- For me,it's Elmer,what a heart and not a quitter,God Bless him and Funny Cide too.
- A 37 YO horse still trucking along breaking records and kicking butt? How awesome is that!!
- What's not to love about a NY gelding? ;-)
- All the above
- The vet who went to Africa to work at a clinic
- Wonderful story about a wonderful horse
- I always enjoy stories about older horses who are still healthy & happy, & still active as well.
- amazing pair
- The Pickens saving the Mustangs!
- It would be nice to see followups on the horses available for adoption listed on each newsletter
- It is wonderful to see such a bond and care with an older horse, it gives hope to others
- Hard choices! First 3 are all tops!
- Hurray Elmer Bandit!!
- I have a horse reaching senior status and want to keep him going like Elmer.
- Great story--with the correct natural care, more horses shod make it to more years.
- I think the bond between Elmer and his owner is incredible!!
- don't use it for the stories like the health/care info and resource
- john henry's outings. Such a great horse!
- It makes me smile when I see older horses working and interacting with their younger peers. Hurrah
- Elmer and T'breds in tie for me!
- What an incredible horse & excellent, caring owner!
- I still own my 1st horse. Hes a 25 yr. old Arab. I hope he lives as long as Elmer!
- All Thoroughbreds deserve to have a happy and useful life.
- Elmer of course!
- TRUELY AMAZING AT THE AGE OF 37 THIS HORSE COULD STILL COMPETE AND DO IT SUCCESSFULLY...JPJ
- The birth of the foal from the trailer accident
- Because most horse never live to be his age, say nothing of remaining competitive
- horses living a long time and working.
- Elmer is such a game horse with a huge heart. What's not to love?
- I competed a mare into her 30's and still rode her at 40. I admire Elmer.
- I board a 36yr old TB (we put 350# on thru winter of 2006) who has Elmer's fortitude.
- As an ex-endurance rider, I understand the satisfaction of completing with flying colors
- he could be anyone's horse & he's made it big time
- I have a senior horse and it's always nice to see the power of the older horse.
- I am very pro-TB adoption, having adopted one of my own. Dear to my heart.
- Elmer is wonderful, I just hope after all he has done ,he will be retired.
- When any horse is saved, my spirit soars (and tears of joy fall)!
- I enjoy stories of horses getting a second chance at life!
- Elmer B and anything with a feedlot horse getting a second chance.
- Thoroughbred Adoption Service a close second
- I love Funny Cide, although it was tough to pick him over Elmer Bandit
- I do endurance and loved following the accomplishments these 2 older competitors
- Elmer Bandit is an inspiration!
- Gives us old folks hope.
- TB adoption service is great! Also appreciated Elmer
- Amazing that a horse lived this long, even more that he was still competing!
- Elmer is an inspiration to all, and I loved reading about their record setting rides.
- My arab x gelding almost died this year. Elmer was a huge inspiration on the road to recovery! :D
- How well the Olympic horses handled the weather in Hong Kong.
- I'm a senior, myself, with a 17-yo mare: it's good to know long life's possible for us both.
- We all love Uncle Elmer Bandit!
- Molly the pony abandoned by her owners during Katrina
- Elmer Bandit. I love old horses, have one now, good to see an aged horse win against the odds.
- ESPN just doesn't cover the Olympics the way us "horse people" want to hear it!!!
- I always know that if something's happening in the horse world, I'll be able to read about it on TH
- knowing that someone cares enough about these beautiful animals to not euthanize after their careers
- What an inspiration!
- I know Mary Anna Woods
- It is a blessing to see a horse handle w/such love and care that he continues to achieve at his age.
About the Author
Megan Arszman received a Bachelor of Science In print journalism and equine science from Murray State University in Murray, Ky., and loves combining her love of horses, photography, and writing. In her “free time,” when she’s not busy working as a horse show secretary or riding her American Quarter Horses on her parents’ Indiana farm, she’s training and competing her Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhund in dog agility and running.
POLL: Rabies Vaccination