Blister Beetles in Hay: Shop Smart to Reduce the Risk

Alfalfa hay is an excellent, high quality forage for horses, but it has the potential to attract blister beetles--toxic insects that can kill horses if ingested.

Blister beetles cause inflammation and blistering of the skin within hours of contact. If ingested, cantharidin, a toxic substance in the beetle, is absorbed and rapidly excreted in the animal's urine, causing inflammation o

To continue reading this article, become a member of TheHorse.com.

It's FREE and you'll get full access to more than 20,000 articles, video, free reports & more.

Sign In
Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with FREE weekly newsletters from TheHorse.com. Learn More

Free Newsletters

Sign up for the latest in:

From our partners