Australian Toxic Feed Case Decided

An Australian court awarded $71,000 in damages after a Sydney area family’s Thoroughbred mare died and three other show horses were permanently retired due to heart conditions resulting from contaminated feed, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

The mare had a heart aneurism after eating feed purchased from George Weston Foods. The other three horses were admitted to the University of Sydney’s veterinary hospital, where veterinarians discovered heart dysfunction, and advised that they not be ridden, said the Herald

The Sydney Morning Herald’s coverage of the decision can be read here.

About the Author

Erin Ryder

Erin Ryder is a former news editor of The Horse: Your Guide To Equine Health Care. She owns a portly gray gelding named Duncan and dabbles in several equestrian disciplines, with an emphasis on dressage.

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with FREE weekly newsletters from TheHorse.com. Learn More

Free Newsletters

Sign up for the latest in:

From our partners