Botulism in horses is a high-mortality neurologic disease caused by toxins the anaerobic, spore-forming, soil-dwelling bacterium Clostridium botulinum. The toxins are extremely potent, and horses are particularly sensitive to them.
The botulinum toxin enters the bloodstream, circulates throughout the body, and enters various motor nerve cells. As a result, the horse becomes weak and potentially paralyzed. The earliest clinical signs of botulism in adult horses usually include drooling, dropping food, dysphagia (inability to swallow), and inappetance/anorexia.
Botulism is usually fatal if left untreated; However if treated, a horse can fully recover. This free report provides the horse owner and caretaker with an overview of prevention, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of botulism in horses.
- Veterinarians Urge Vaccination against West Nile Virus
- Increased Equine West Nile Virus Activity in 2012
- Horse Vaccines in 2012: Where We Stand
- EHV-1 Inactivated Vaccine Efficacy Tested (AAEP 2011)
- Management Strategies to Enhance Vaccine Efficacy
- Researcher: Current Equine Flu Vaccines Effective Against Foreign Strains
- Vaccinating Pregnant Mares for Equine Viral Arteritis
- Spring Vaccinations: Points to Consider Before You Buy
- Possible Cause of Unusual Neurologic Signs in Australian Horses Identified
- The Many Faces of EPM: Free Webinar Now Available On Demand