Poll Recap: New Year's Resolutions
Many readers resolved to spend more time in the saddle in 2014.
Photo: Anne M. Eberhardt/The Horse
Last week, we asked our readers if they had made any horse-related New Year’s resolutions for 2014. More than 200 readers responded, and we’ve tallied the results!
Of the 264 voters, 194 (73%) responded yes, they made a horse-related New Year’s resolution, while the remaining 70 voters (27%) did not.
Additionally, more than 120 readers shared their horsey resolutions.
Many readers said their resolution was to spend more time in the saddle:
- "Ride more!"
- "Keep riding to keep him going."
- "I plan to spend as much time as posssible with my horse! He is 24 so I want every miute to count."
- "Ride trails all over the world...."
- "Riding more...both of us could stand to loose some weight."
- "Ride more! And pursue my dream to ride a reiner."
- "Ride constantly!"
- "Do more riding."
- "To ride every day the weather permits."
- "To ride more then I did in 2013"
- "Ride my burro Missy more. She loves it and the excersise does wonders for her weight issues."
- "I resolve to spend more time riding at home."
- "As I get older I face this coming year determined to get LOTS more riding in on my young mare!"
- "I plan on riding more and really working with my horses to be the best than can be."
- "I want to try to and ride my horse every day...even if it's for only 10 minutes. Life's too short."
Others had training-related resolutions for 2014:
- "To finish what I have started with my OTTB."
- "Teach my new saddle mule to neck rein and pack, hopefully before we start our pack trips this summer."
- "I'm committed to finishing driving training for three Minis! Life got in the way in 2013!"
- "Get back to a full- time training program."
- "Work on cantering and build bombproofing obstacles on the ranch."
- "Train our pony Sunshine (who has promise as a trick pony) to dance the Hokey Pokey with me."
- "Spending more time training them, even if it is just a few moments, and balancing life and horses."
- "To get a bridle on my horse every time I go riding. She's not really bridle broken."
Some readers' resolutions involve getting fit and healthy for riding:
- "Weight and fat reduction!"
- "To rehab my 55-year-old shattered leg and knee so I can ride my wonderful horse again."
- "Lose weight for my horse."
- "My horse is no trouble to get fit, but I'd like to get myself more fit for eventing."
And a few have horse health-related resolutions:
- "Get my filly down to a body condition score of 5...she is a wee bit pudgy now!"
- "I've got to be more dedicated on my fat pony's diet! He's got to lose some weight!"
- "Keeping my 25-year-old Quarter Horse healthy."
- "Pay more attention to her age-related issues."
- "To keep my three older horses healthy and comfortable to the best of my ability."
Need some help thinking of some horse-related resolutions? Check out our slideshow of the Top Ten Horse-Related resolutions that were submiteed by our readers!
This week, we want to know: if you went outside to ride right now, what kind of saddle would you most likely use? Vote in the poll and share your comments!
The results of our weekly polls are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter, which offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters on our homepage and look for a new poll on TheHorse.com.
About the Author
POLL: Colic Surgery