Blister Beetles

  • Email
  • Favorite
  • Share
  • Newsletters

Blister Beetles naturally contain and secrete a chemical substance called cantharidin, which is extremely toxic to horses. Dr. Sarah Reuss discusses the dangers of blister beetles and what horse owners can do to prevent their horse from ingesting them.  

About the Experts

Sarah Reuss, VMD, Dipl. ACVIM

Sarah Reuss, VMD, Dipl. ACVIM, is a clinical assistant professor and large animal internal medicine service chief at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine. Her clinical interests include all aspects of large animal medicine, with a focus in neonatology, critical care medicine, and Rhodococcus equi in foals.