From shipping schedules and quarantine to pain management and nutrition, what makes the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games "bigger and better" than the Olympics from a horse care and management standpoint?
About the Experts
Kent Allen, DVM, ISELP, is the owner of Virginia Equine Imaging. He is the vice president of the International Society of Equine Locomotor Pathology, U.S. national head FEI veterinarian, and chairman of United States Equestrian Federation Veterinary and Equine Drug and Medication committees. He served an FEI foreign veterinary delegate for the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games and the 2012 London Summer Olympics.
Cynthia G. MacKenzie, DVM, senior equine technical services veterinarian for Merck Animal Health. In this role, she provides continuing education to equine practitioners and horse owners, composes technical literature, and conducts field trials. Prior to joining Merck Animal Health, MacKenzie served as a veterinary associate for Mark Secor, DVM, Inc., in San Juan Capistrano, Calif., and at Rood & Riddle in Lexington, Ky. She was also the resident veterinarian for 700 horses at Lane’s End Farm in Versailles, Ky.
Hannah Wellman, DVM, was the reining team veterinarian and treating veterinarian for the World Equestrian Games (with official veterinary partner Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital), completed her veterinary degree at the University of Sydney, interned at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky., and worked in a U.S. racetrack practice before returning to Rood & Riddle in 2008. She is currently an associate in the ambulatory sport horse department. Her interests include imaging (such as radiology or X-rays, and ultrasound) and lameness.
- Feed Tags: Four Components to Evaluate
- Study: Horse Fitness, Layups, Usage Linked
- Diagnosing Equine Neck Conditions
- Muscle Problems Can Cause Poor Equine Performance
- Results of Standing Fracture Repair in Racehorses Examined
- Nutritional Support for Injured Equine Athletes
- The Ins and Outs of Feeding the OTTB
- Study Evaluates Injectable Treatment for Tendon Injuries
- Regulatory Veterinarian Checks in Horse Racing
- Three-Day Eventing Horse Inspections