Spring is a great time to schedule a veterinary visit and create a vaccination plan for your horse. Get the most out of your horse's annual wellness exam with help from our experts. You can also find additional information in our 10 Equine Vaccination and Wellness Resources on TheHorse.com.
About the Experts
Dale R. Brown, DVM, is an ambulatory veterinarian and shareholder at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky. In this role, he focuses on mare reproduction, neonatal care, and herd health. Brown has an interest in vaccination protocols for farms and wrote the Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital vaccination protocols from 2011-’14.
Rob Keene, DVM, is an equine technical manager for Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc. (BIVI). Keene has worked with BIVI for more than five years and focuses his expertise on university outreach, equine infectious disease, and monitoring research projects. He has more than 10 years of equine veterinary practice experience and received his bachelor of science degree from Montana State University and a bachelor of science and doctor of veterinary medicine degrees from Colorado State University.
- Veterinarians Urge Vaccination against West Nile Virus
- Increased Equine West Nile Virus Activity in 2012
- Horse Vaccines in 2012: Where We Stand
- EHV-1 Inactivated Vaccine Efficacy Tested (AAEP 2011)
- Estimating Horse Weight Accurately
- Colic in Horses: When is Surgery Necessary?
- Management Strategies to Enhance Vaccine Efficacy
- Researcher: Current Equine Flu Vaccines Effective Against Foreign Strains
- Vaccinating Pregnant Mares for Equine Viral Arteritis
- Spring Vaccinations: Points to Consider Before You Buy