Botulism in Horses

Botulism in horses is a high-mortality neurologic disease caused by toxins the anaerobic, spore-forming, soil-dwelling bacterium Clostridium botulinum. The toxins are extremely potent, and horses are particularly sensitive to them.

The botulinum toxin enters the bloodstream, circulates throughout the body, and enters various motor nerve cells. As a result, the horse becomes weak and potentially paralyzed. The earliest clinical signs of botulism in adult horses usually include drooling, dropping food, dysphagia (inability to swallow), and inappetance/anorexia.

Botulism is usually fatal if left untreated; However if treated, a horse can fully recover. This free report provides the horse owner and caretaker with an overview of prevention, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of botulism in horses.

Free Newsletters

Sign up for the latest in:

From our partners