Poll Recap: Farmers' Almanac: Truth or Fiction?
Several respondents said they consult the Farmers' Almanac for information on when to wean and castrate young horses.
Photo: Anne M. Eberhardt/The Horse
Horse owners don’t heavily rely on information from the Farmers’ Almanac to make equine management decisions, according to recent online poll results from TheHorse.com. Nearly 300 readers responded to the poll, and we’ve tallied the results!
Of the 294 respondents, 253 (86%) said they do not rely on the Farmers’ Almanac when making horse management decisions. The remaining 41 respondents (14%) said they do use the Farmer’s Almanac in their horse management decisions.
Additionally, 59 people commented on why they did or didn’t use the Farmers’ Almanac.
Some people shared how they use the Farmers’ Almanac in managing horses:
- “I geld on the moon signs and watch full-moon reports for possible foaling dates.”
- “I plan castrations by the sign of the moon.”
- “Weaned my filly according to moon signs and (she had an) incredibly fast, positive adjustment.”
- “I wean and castrate using moon signs.”
- “Only geld or castrate when moon in feet! There are less complications.”
- “I always castrate when the signs are in the feet.”
- “I use it to tell when riding season will come to an end.”
- “I use it for gelding (and have) had wonderful results with the almanac as a guide.”
- “It's always right.”
- “I've gone by it for years and have had great results.”
- “We consult it for weaning and castrating and have had great success.”
- “We use it to decide when to geld the boys...and schedule most all non-emergency surgeries.”
Several shared why they don't use the Farmers’ Almanac for management decisions:
- “I rely on my own preferences and experiences.”
- “I trust in myself and my horse to influence my choices.”
- “I have to plan (based) on the market. I don't think that can predict it.”
- “I rely on trainer, vet, farrier, and my own experience.”
- “I find the almanac quite interesting, but it does not infuence my decisions.”
- “It's only used for light entertainment.”
- “I prefer to use scientific information for decisions.”
- “(Horse management) is not their expertise.”
- “It's utter nonsense.”
- “No evidence for effectiveness.”
- “I never have. It's easier to make decisions based on whatever it's doing outside at the moment.”
- “No, but I do consider the Farmer's Almanac a credible source of information.”
- “We don't use it for management decisions as it is not based on scientific principles.”
- “I have never looked at it and hardly know what it is or even where to get one.”
- “No. The predictions are far too vague.”
- “Never even thought about it.”
- “Nope, can't see how they could predict the future.”
- “I use real-time, real-life to manage my horse.”
- “No more accurate than the weather man!”
Others left general comments about the Farmers’ Almanac:
- “While its predictions are useful for some things, I don't think they're useful for horsekeeping.”
- “I read it for fun.”
- “I don't rely on it, but am usually interested in the predictions. Especially in winter.”
- “I take my advise from a third-generation farmer. He know his stuff. He's been right for 14 years now.”
- “I never thought about it. I know people use it for planting.”
- “They really make sense. Old ideas based on making a living on the land often are best today, too.”
- “It's interesting but not scientific.”
- “It's the most reliable weather, crop management, and show planning guide for over 50 years.”
This week, we want to know: what horse-related plans are you most excited about for Summer 2014? Vote now and share your comments at TheHorse.com!
The results of our weekly polls are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter, which offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters on our homepage and look for a new poll TheHorse.com.
About the Author
Jennifer Whittle, TheHorse.com Web Producer, is a lifelong horse owner who competes with her Appaloosas in Western performance events. She is a University of Kentucky graduate and holds a bachelor’s degree in Community Communications and Leadership Development, and master's degree in Career, Technical, and Leadership Education. She currently lives on a small farm in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.
POLL: Feeding Alfalfa