Thoroughbred Dies in Indianapolis Barn Blaze

A Thoroughbred is dead after fire swept through the Indianapolis, Ind., barn in which it was residing.

Indianapolis Fire Department Public Information Officer Capt. Rita Reith said fire department personnel responded to a barn fire in March 2. At the scene, firefighters discovered the corrugated metal and wood structure completely involved in flames, Reith said.

“A 2-year-old Thoroughbred mare perished in the fire,” Reith said.

Six other horses pastured in a nearby field escaped unharmed, she said. The blaze also claimed assorted tack, a tractor, and other equipment, Reith said.

Reith said the horses' owners believe the fire was likely started by two space heaters located in the barn.

About the Author

Pat Raia

Pat Raia is a veteran journalist who enjoys covering equine welfare, industry, and news. In her spare time, she enjoys riding her Tennessee Walking Horse, Sonny.

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with FREE weekly newsletters from Learn More

Free Newsletters

Sign up for the latest in:

From our partners