Riders4Helmets to Host 2013 Safety Symposium
- Jan 12, 2013
The helmet awareness campaign Riders4Helmets will be hosting the fouth Riders4Helmets Safety Symposium on Feb. 2, 2013 at the Alltech Arena at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, from 8.30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The safety symposium will bring together representatives from various corners of the equestrian world to discuss the importance of wearing helmets and rider safety and education, and to improve helmet designs, and more. The event will provide a series of short lectures and panel discussions throughout the day. Many in attendance--including equestrians, helmet manufacturers, equestrian organizations, and neurosurgeons--will also sit on the panels. Lyndsey White of Riders4Helmets will be the chair of the meeting.
"We are very excited to be hosting the 4th Riders4Helmets Safety Symposium and to see it continue to expand not only into other equestrian disciplines but all aspects of equestrian safety," said White. "The symposia are a fantastic opportunity to bring together many individuals, organizations and associations all in one place, to continue important discussions regarding equestrian safety. We are already planning the first International Equestrian Safety Summit for summer 2013 to be held in the U.K., which will take the symposia concept to an even wider audience."
The Craig Ferrell MD Equestrian Safety Awards, named for the late United States Equestrian Team physician and chair of the Fédération Equestre Internationale medical council, will be presented at the Safety Symposium. Lorraine Ferrell will be in attendance to observe the recognition of individuals who have been nominated by equestrians as being exceptional role models for helmet wearing or equestrian safety.
Symposium topics will include the following:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries and Concussions: The Latest Research, Long Term Effects and Revolutionary Technologies
- Helmets in the Western World
- Educating Our Youth
- Helmets On The Trail
- In Memoriam--Cheryl Strong-Camilleri
- Gaining Acceptance In The Equestrian Community For Helmet Use
- We Are All Role Models: Setting An Example
- Safety Incentives: Thinking Outside The Box To Get Helmets Introduced Into Non-Helmet Wearing Disciplines
- Helmets And The Breed Organizations
- Current Helmet Rules: Clarification Across The Disciplines
- Riders4Helmets: Three Years On
- Champion Barrel Racer Megan Sparks
- Olympians: Courtney King-Dye (via video) and Darren Chiacchia
- Multiple Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association World and National Champion Cowgirl Tammy Sronce
- HorseThink: Keeping You Safe representatives Scot Hansen Sandy Siegrist
- Champion Reiner Lyndsey Jordan
- American Competitive Trail Horse Association co-founder Caroline Scrima
- Britni Lovelace, Brooke Smith, and Zane Lovelace
- Equestrian Mental Skills Coach Tonya Johnston
- Neurosurgeon (name to be confirmed)
- RidingHorses.com's Kathy Slack
- Supreme Extreme Mustang Makeover Reserve Champion Mary Miller Jordan
- United States Equestrian Federation's Leigh Anne Claywell
- Tipperary's Len Clemente
The full symposium agenda and speaker list (with bios) will be available shortly at www.riders4helmets.com/category/4th-safety-symposium/.
The symposium is being sponsored by Tipperary, Charles Owen, Troxel, GPA, One K, Ovation and High Visibility USA (Equisafety). Contributing companies include Adequan and Triple Crown.
For those who cannot attend the symposium in person, videoed sessions will be available on www.riders4helmets.com following the event.
Attendance to the symposium is open to any member of the public, but individuals who plan to attend must preregister in order to avoid the $10 entrance fee for the event.
To preregister, please visit www.riders4helmets.com/helmet-safety-symposium-registration/. To book a discounted hotel room at the host hotel, please call the Clarion in Lexington at 800/424-6423 and use discount code "Riders4Helmets".
POLL: Farm and Liability Insurance