Two Horses Killed in Ky. Barn Fire

A Jan. 31 barn fire believed to have been caused by an electrical malfunction claimed the lives of two Thoroughbreds boarded at Warren Lyster's 100-acre Tarleton Farm near Paris, Ky. According to chief Lloyde Campbell of the Bourbon County Fire and Rescue, the dispatch center received a call at about 4 a.m. EST from motorists who saw the blaze from the highway.

"We have ruled (the fire's cause) to be accidental electrical," Campbell said following an investigation.

The two Thoroughbreds-a yearling Mr. Greeley colt out of the Fit to Fight mare One Fit Lady, and Gum Buster, a 2-year-old Meadow Monster filly out of the Screen King mare Kirov-were expected to be joined in the barn by several other Thoroughbreds in the next two weeks. Both horses were uninsured.

New Jersey resident Alan Goldberg of Colts Neck Stable and Derek Buntain, who resides in Canada, owned the Mr. Greeley colt and Meadow Monster filly, respectively. Both were notified of the fire.

Lyster said by the time a neighbor called to alert him, the barn was already engulfed in flames and fire engines were arriving at the scene.

A temperature of eight degrees hindered firefighters.

About 40% of the horses at Tarleton Farm are boarders and Lyster owns the other 60% in partnership with clients. Lyster said he plans to rebuild the barn and might board some of his horses with friends during the renovation.

About the Author

Esther Marr

Esther Marr is a staff writer for The Blood-Horse magazine.

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with FREE weekly newsletters from Learn More

Free Newsletters

Sign up for the latest in:

From our partners