• Print
  • Email
  • Favorite
  • Share
  • Newsletters

When a horse inhales mold spores or other irritants, neutrophils (specific types of white blood cells) release reactive oxidants--generally very reactive substances that can break down mold in the airways. That's not a bad thing, really. "But if there are too many, they can attack the lung tissue," said Chris Deaton, BSc (Hons), PhD, post-doctoral physiologist of the Animal Health Trust.

To continue reading this article, become a member of TheHorse.com.

It's FREE and you'll get full access to more than 20,000 articles, video, free reports & more.

Sign In
Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with FREE weekly newsletters from TheHorse.com. Learn More

Free Newsletters

Sign up for the latest in:

From our partners