Equine Ulcers: Readers Share Experiences
- Dec 14, 2010
More than 720 readers of TheHorse.com responded to a poll asking, "Have you ever had to treat your horse(s) for gastric ulcers?"
Results were as follows:
- No: 51.92% (378)
- Yes: 39.84% (290)
- I don't know if my horse has/had ulcers: 8.24% (60)
Readers shared their experience with equine ulcers in the comments below.
Results of weekly polls from TheHorse.com are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter. Published every week, this e-newsletter offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters using the form above or on our e-newsletter page.
Look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!
- My mare has diarhea bouts when her ulcers act up.
- Ranitidine for 25 days and then on NeighLox forever
- After yearling injury and long term bute use.
- easy to treat and very good results with todays products.
- I make sure my horses have free choice hay in the winter so they do not develop ulcers.
- HE WAS A NEWBORN THAT HAD A VERY DIFFICULT BIRTH I'M GUESSING DUE TO HIS LARGE SIZE.
- 5 year old tb gelding in training 5 days a week. Gave 1/2 tube ulcerguard for eight days
- We initially used 3 tubes of Gastro-Guard and then Neigh-Lox for maint. or U-Gard pellets.
- My Icelandic gelding is very prone to ulcers. He colics when he has untreated ulcers.
- problems with younger horses taken away for training- ie. stressful situation
- after he was flown to Florida from California for a show...
- it took years to get it under control.we maintain him with 1/4 cup mineral oil added to his feed.
- Bought an 8 yr, old qh mare in May. Didn't know she had ulcers at the time. Our vet diagnosed it.
- I groomed for a polo player and we treated several of his horses.
- we aquired 2 OTTB with poor coats / condition. Went with vet treatment for 1 month for each.
- My vet actually had me give him plain yogurt. It seemed to work!
- she's currently being treated - she's on antibiotics for an infection she got after surgery
- Ophane foal. Managed with live yoghurt and omiprazole
- My horse is under NO stress just like she should be!
- If you allow 2-3 acres per horse for grazing and turn out 24/7, that should prevent gastric acid.
- I have a rescued ex-racehorse so I've kept him on finishline u7 and he looks and feels great now.
- Our finicky eater for years started losing weight. Three days on ulcer meds and he eats great now!
- Yes! We have an arabian who gets them severely every 6 months.
- My TB had them in his gut and became anemic. He went from droopy to snorty again with treatment.
- Gastro Guard Rocks!
- Took two rounds of grinding pills and feeding them twice a day. she has had no recurrence.
- pasture 24/7
- I am a v.m.d. thank you. I have 3horses. there are very good.
- He has been on ulcer medication for the last 8 years.
- I make sure they have grass hay available free choice so the gut is naver empty
- he had symptoms, I treated w/o diagnosis, they went away
- tried every medication for 2 years and have now given up, my filly was grade 4 at 2 years old.
- after colic surgery and sometimes as a preventive measure when they are on antibiotics
- Draft cross mare...got really "cinchy".....Equine Chiro had me start her on Ukele GUT!HUGEChange
- I treated my 4 month old Percheron colt for it with Zantac and Malox. He did great!!
- My horse is on the product UlcerGuard
- I don't put my horse in stressful situations, such as trailering and moving him barn to barn,
- gastroguard IT WORKS
- I use a supplement to prevent it.
- Mine are quite healthy so don't need a lot of meds
- MIMITURE HORSE WITH BAD REACTION TO SHOTS, GOT ULCER. TREATED WITH GASTROGARD
- Use a preventative since have 2 show horses - ulcerguard & G.U.T. fr Uckele
- more preventitive when using other drugs that could cause ulcers
- His pyloric sphincter failed, causing impaction & ulcers...yearling paint
- Stomach Soother was the most effective and least expensive treatment I tried.
- It was a colic, treated, and my filly returned to the vet about a week after the colic treatment.
- One for a long move, and a foal for weening issues
- Prevention is far easier and cheaper!
- Out 24/7 with continuous grazing; low stress lives with minimal local travelling
- Total health enhancement is the only thing that helped him.We tried gastro guard & worked but only w
- I bought a 2yr. Belgian with cronic diareah.
- Diagnosed and treated with acupuncture and Chinese herbs (Jade Lady) - doing great after 2 months
- Cherry Maalox and GastroGard, check supplements for anti-indicated ingredients
- It's expensive! Happened after a farrier traumatised our young pony.
- just treated my 30 yr old with presumed ulcers after a recent colic episode.
- for the best results cost saving try Soothing Pink by Progressive Nutrition
- After colic surgery,
- 45 out of 63 show horses positive
- My good natured mare started acting cinchy and stretching and was REALLY grouchy.
- None so far, judging solely on symptoms. Never scoped them.
- Misdiagnosed foal was treated
- we used herbal meds called happy stomach worked great to heal ulcer
- 21 days of omniprozele & currently daily maintenance of gastragard for 2 y.o. QH
- we had a racehorse get ulcers at 2, treated her with gastrogard.
- retired TB--Ulcerguard effective
- Bute caused them as he is a trail/pasture horse..but has arthritis from an old accident..
- My horse has 24-7 turnout and fed twice daily. He is a calm unstressed horse. I am suprised he has u
- I thought my horse to be 'uncommfortable', so I changed his feed and times of feeding to be sure he
- Friend's mare who is alone a lot got it during a group ride.
- Diligent management practices helped us avoid them in our show horses until 1 had to go on bute.
- Treated sucessfully with 28 days of ranitidine
- he was an orphan foal you could hear hime grind his teeth i used ulcar guard he got better
- Several--We train barrel racing horses and find it is quite prevelant
- Poor disposition,explosive responses, guard (R) side; omeprazole b.i.d. x1 mo controlled. OK now
- We didn't scope because all the clinical signs were there. Using gastrogaurd for a 6wksdid the trick
- Am lucky to have not experienced ulcers.
- Rodeo to mini driving, not one ulcer ever ! !
- She was injured when she was 2 months old and subsquently developed gastric ulcers.
- Standardbreds off the track and Senior horses.
- I found Alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets kept his ulcers calmed down
- I have had walking horses all of my life and thankfully none of them has ever had to go through this
- Cimetidine long term seems to be working for my horse
- My horses lead a very relaxing life, Neither they or me rarely get stressed out.
- unfortunately she was too sick before i knew it and she died
- Have only known 1 foal that developed at weaning
- Complete change in behavior with treatment. I periodically followup with medication.
- I use probiotics/yeast everyday in feed
- My mare had severe laminitis, on NSAIDS and Ulcer Gard
- One horse that was scoped and had ulcers and many others I have treated under times of stress!
- Two of them: a thoroughbred and an Andalusian stallion who had the worst my vet ever saw
- 2 of my Clydes get nervous/ulcers during show season-there are some great products for this!
- A Thoroughbred i rescued needed a round of Omeprazole initially but did great after that.
- Very expensive
- one foal and one show horse, endoscope showed them
- but I treated him once. Turned out to be Leptospirosis.
- We have Thbd racehorses and our experience has shown all of them have suffered from some symptoms.
- Treatment with Ranitidine & Sucrulfate didn't work. Gastrogard for 2 months did.
- if your horse is cinchy he might have an ulcer
- 26 yr old rescue we were unsuccessful too many other issues also
- did not test, did preventative supplements
- Yearling with intermittent diarrhea plus grinding her teeth. Gastroguard was miraculous.
- starting new training, showing and moving across country I always give a supplement to prevent ulcer
- She was treated with Gastrogard. For a few months we made sure she always had hay in a haynet.
- An orphan foal, treated by adding alfalfa to grass hay. Turned out on pasture as soon as possible.
- I've been very fortunate, never had this problem.
- Our Arabian mare was extremey ill suddenly. They found she had ulcers and when treated was fine.
- Had a lot of luck with 2 wekks of gastro guard 1/2 tube, then a month of aloe vera juice
- both hind gut and stomach
- He got Tagamet IV for 2 days. Now if he bangs on the water trough is pain, he gets about 8 tagamet.
- use of gastro gard cleared them us
- got it after using Bute, now use something else
- i changed her feed gave medication daily for three months, medicate before a barrel race.
- The vet recommended after 2 wks of gastrointestinal discomfort in a row.
- After surgery and medications
- Yes, after treatment for EPM
- Severe ulcer due to Bute/Banamine use. Misoprostal and Ulcerguard cured, but took several months.
- I love Natural Stomach Soother to treat ulcers adn to help prevent them!
- Caused from encysted strongyles - after a power pac, worms were gone & ulcers healed-no more problem
- He has been on rinitidine for 2 years
- I've had 20 horses in my lifetime and only 1 treat for ulcers. He has been fine now for 3 years.
- My horses get Kombat Boots which helps & prevents ulcers
- They are treated like horses & not stalled 22 hrs a day. They run on 400 acres
- Low stress and natual diet seems to do well with my horses
- Very long process of constant colic, medication, and the right food.
- as a yearling after confinement for injury
About the Author
Megan Arszman received a Bachelor of Science In print journalism and equine science from Murray State University in Murray, Ky., and loves combining her love of horses, photography, and writing. In her “free time,” when she’s not busy working as a horse show secretary or riding her American Quarter Horses on her parents’ Indiana farm, she’s training and competing her Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhund in dog agility and running.