Poll: Readers Know About Rabies
More than 480 readers of TheHorse.com responded to a poll asking, "How knowledgeable are you about equine rabies?"
Results were as follows:
- I completely understand the disease: 72.84% (354)
- I know rabies is a dangerous disease, but I don't know why: 16.67% (81)
- I didn't know horses were susceptible to rabies: 5.35% (26)
- Other: 2.88% (14)
- I don't think rabies is a threatening disease in the United States: 2.26% (11)
Readers shared what they know about rabies in the comments below.
Poll sponsored by Intervet Schering-Plough Animal Health.
Results of weekly polls from TheHorse.com are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter. Published every week, this e-newsletter offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters using the form above or on our e-newsletter page.
Look for a new poll on TheHorse.com every week!
- i know its dangerous and understand how it is transmitted but i do not know exactly what causes it
- I know that it is potentially transmited by any mamal and that there is no cure
- Also a public heath hazard for humanes
- I have or had racoons drinking out of my horses water tub. I never was able to trap it so I had my v
- Humans have been reatable after infection for years, but the drug companies want $ not cured animals
- living in the south, you growup knowing about rabies
- it is fatal. horses with rabies can infect humans. and it is fatal. (unless you get treated in time)
- The symptoms are easy to determine and it is transmittable to humans & pets
- I did 5 yrs of vax research on rabies for dogs/cats
- I understand enough to know to vaccinate all my animals (except the bird)!
- There is no cure for rabies-once infected death is the only outcome.. It can be transmitted to human
- my animals get rabies shots because you never know it a rabed animals is in the area and my horses g
- I didn't know until recently that there is an equine vaccine
- I wll question my vet further--we usually don't include rabies with the annual shots.
- I'm a 3rd year vet student and have discussed every aspect !
- worked for a state health department involved inpreenting the spreadof raccoon rabies into Ohio..
- Not an issue in the UK
- Vaccines are just easy money for drug companies
- Rabies is not found in Australia, thank goodness!
- I work in public env. health in NY & am very involved with rabies prevention
- Rabies is an infectious disease. Without vet records, horse has to be put down to be tested.
- Vaccinate vaccinate vaccinate it is deadly and you not only protect your horse but also you due to t
- I have seen very little rabies in horses so I need a better understanding of the disease
- Last fall we had a rabid skunk in our paddock, I was terrorized ...
- I've never heard of a case in my area. (NE WA state)
- have seen several mammals including a human with rabies not pleasant!!!!!
- no rabies in our province of Alberta so no one vaccinates for it.
- Rabies is fatal, tansmittable, and incurable in horses.
- Disease of Brain, death, no cure. 1 girl, Milw. lived..mix of antibiotics. brain massive damage- dea
- I was told there is on cure if they get rabies
- I vaccinate all my horses for Rabies because we have skunks & othe rabies carrying aniamls around.
- That is the first shot I give after tetanus.. Very important..I have 25 minis.
- I had to gain a good understanding of rabies for my job
- I understand the disease & vaccinate annually, but do not know all the symptoms in horses
- wouldn't say completely, but I know why and about it
- As an equine vet tech (now retired) this was one of the diseases that I studied
- vaccination given yearly by Veterinarian
- I have a general understanding of rabies disease.
- Rabies is a disease you definately don't want to mess with
- I pretty much understand rabies and what to look for in animals
- the cost of a vaccination is so much less then the vet bill to diagnose and eventually euthanize
- Rabies is always fatal. There is no reason under the sun not to vaccinate against Rabies. It shoul
- No cure...the only two words you need to know.
- I vacinate I required & if a suspect wild animal is around, all get boosters
- Maybe "completely understand" is a bit much, but know a lot!
- rabies is a contagious disease that results in death. Dogs vacinate every 3 yrs, horses 1 yr, cats 3
- rabies makes a person/animal go crazy and die
- Wish we had more info on why annual vax is necessary
- I'm sure I don't know EVERYTHING, but I know how to keep my horses safe and vaccinated.
- Saliva can spread the diease to anyone and any animal!
- Until I saw it here I had no idea horses were susceptible.
- I know very little about it, but my vet says I don't need to vaccinate my horse for it.
- i don't completely understand the disease,but i know it is transmissable between horses and humans,
- I know rabies is fatal and contagious so I vaccinate for it.
- Fatal to all species, so it's difficult to understand why anyone would avoid the vaccine!
- VACCINATE!!!! Vaccination is cheap insureance in prevention of this fatal disease.
- Easy to prevent; it is easily transmitted to other horses, livestock and humans with out vaccination
- once you have symptoms there is no cure
- I live in UK and we don't have rabies
- As a vet tech I always vaccinate for Rabies. Always fatal!
About the Author
Megan Arszman received a Bachelor of Science In print journalism and equine science from Murray State University in Murray, Ky., and loves combining her love of horses, photography, and writing. In her “free time,” when she’s not busy working as a horse show secretary or riding her American Quarter Horses on her parents’ Indiana farm, she’s training and competing her Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhund in dog agility and running.
POLL: Emergency Evacuations