While tiny quantities of some substances were found in samples, researchers say it's not necessarily cause for concern.
Photo by The Horse Staff
The automatic test's short run time enables a high throughput with minimal labor requirements, researchers say.
Photo by Courtesy Dr. Terence S.M. Wan
Scientists in Hong Kong validated a "dilute-and-shoot" test that can check for more than 40 difficult-to-detect drugs.
Photo by Anne M. Eberhardt/The Horse
- Settlement Reached Between FEI, Show Jumper Paige Johnson
- Pennsylvania Outlines New Racing Drug, Testing Regulations
- FEI Issues Decisions on Endurance Prohibited Substance Cases
- RMTC Approves Illicit Substance Research Funding
- USEF Announces Effective Date, Process for MPA Reporting
- Study Evaluates Banned, Controlled Substances in Horse Feed
- ARCI Updates Model Rules, Will Review Penalty Guidelines
- Jockey Club's 2017 Round Table Meeting in the Books
- FEI Suspends U.S. Show Jumper Paige Johnson for a Year
- Five IFHA Reference Laboratories Appointed
- Electrolyte Use in Performance Horses
- Bute and Banamine: Avoid Using Together (AAEP 2011)
- Regulatory Veterinarian Checks in Horse Racing
- Intravenous PBZ Dosing in Horses (AAEP 2011)
- Controlling Reproductive Behavior in Performance Mares
- Illinois Lab Receives Interim RMTC Accreditation
- Long-term Clenbuterol Use in Horses Studied
- Performance Boosters
- Use and Abuse of Medications at Horse Shows (AAEP 2010)
- Ask the Vet LIVE Q&A: World Equestrian Games Horse Care Recording Now Available
Farm Call: Your Questions Answered
Q. I was wondering how many days phenylbutazone (Bute) can stay in a horse's system? I have a horse which has to stay on this medication on a fairly constant basis.
In light of managing her off-track Thoroughbred's recent fracture, Stephanie reflects on injuries sustained during vs. after racing.